Every adventurer knows that if everything went according to plan, stuff would be boring. It’s the side quests and misadventures that make a campaign fun (okay, that and awesome loot). In the kitchen, it’s very similar because the gods of perishability always have a different idea than you. So after buying an abundance of strawberries, I knew time was ticking for using them. So I grabbed some of my baking essentials and got to work making a batch of fresh strawberry scones.
Unlike traditional scones, mine are much softer and a bit sweeter.
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of white sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
6 tablespoons of cold butter, cut into slabs
1 large egg
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of milk
8 medium fresh strawberries, diced
A large Bowl
Pastry blender or food processor
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Sift together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
2. Using a pastry blender or a food processor, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks coarse.
3. Whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla extract in a cup and pour it in with the dry ingredients and butter. Stir together until the dough no longer looks wet.
4. Knead the dough until smooth, then gently knead the strawberries into the mixture.
5. Divide the dough into 10-12 even sized balls and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Be sure to space them a few inches apart because they do expand while baking.
6. Bake the scones for 20 minutes, and let them cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.